Thursday, February 20, 2014

Treating Function and NOT Range of Motion



This is blog that I wrote a while back. I wished that I had posted it last week as I had just been referred a challenging patient.

I have now wasted the better part of 3 visits trying to increase the Range of Motion of 1 joint rather than addressing function. 

I stress in my class to focus on what the patient cannot do functionally to guide your evaluation and treatment by asking “What activity or activities do you have difficulty performing”.

This strategy is beneficial for the following reasons:

1. We now have functional goals which are vital for insurance reimbursement
2. We now can break the activity down into its components and determine where the dysfunction is and what type of dysfunction exists.
3. As a result we will be able to provide the appropriate treatment to restore function.

I was recently given such a case study and asked to evaluate and treat the following functional limitations.
  1. Patient is unable to negotiate stairs
  2. Patient is unable to balance on one foot to don clothes
Significant patient history is the following:
  1. Total toe replacement over 5 years ago on the R.
  2. Trendelenberg gait on the right
When we observe this patient we notice the following:
  1. Bilateral pronated feet
  2. Right hallux extension, approximately 3 degrees in neutral
  3. Diminished push off phase of gait.
My evaluation will be as follows: 
  1. For negotiating stairs I will evaluate:
  1. ROM of dorsiflexion with the knee bent in stepping (going up and going down)
  2. Pelvic Depression with the leading leg on descending stairs
  3. Hamstring Contraction
  1. For Single leg Balance I will evaluate:
  1. PROM of the hallux to neutral
  2. AROM of the hallux in flexion
  3. Observing where motion occurs (motion = instability) Single leg balance
I will practice what I preach next visit.